Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Divorce of Lady X

I've been into watching some old movies lately, and tonight I happened to watch "The Divorce of Lady X", starring the late Lord Lawrence Olivier.  Differences between men and women are commented on often in this movie.  I just heard Olivier's character rant about how women want equality but they don't want the responsibilities that go along with that.  Of course this movie was made in I believe 1938, and certainly a lot has changed since then.  But it is very interesting to get a sense of how gender differences are viewed at different times.  And certainly I think we can say that women have taken on many responsibilities in spite of their failure to achieve true equality with men, at least in terms of salary and career opportunities.  I expect to see that change over time as more and more women continue to fill the work force.  Many of those women also find a way to be a great mom at home in addition to being successful in a career outside the home.  Now more than ever, women have it altogether.  Hopefully someday all of society will recognize and accept that women truly are already equal to men.



No comments:

Post a Comment