Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Pedophilia

I am very shocked by this news story today about actor Stephen Collins allegedly being a pedophile.  But putting my shock and disgust aside, I thought I'd check and see if I can find any statistics about male pedophiles with female victims.  I found this:


• All but 3% of offenders who committed violent crimes against children were male.
- BJS Survey of State Prison Inmates, 1991
The typical offender is male, begins molesting by age 15, engages in a variety of deviant behavior, and molests an average of 117 youngsters, most of whom do not report the offense.- Dr. Gene Abel in a National Institute of Mental Health Study

from:


It makes me wonder why there is such a large gender difference in terms of who is a pedophile.  It's possible that the data is skewed of course.  There could be a lot of instances where a female is the pedophile with a male victim and the occurrence is unreported.  It could also have something to do with physical strength.  Males tend to be stronger than females, so it could be that female pedophiles are out there but just unable to do anything with stronger males.  But assuming for a second that the data is truly accurate, it makes you wonder why there is such a large gender difference in who is a pedophile.  I'm not at all trying to knock guys here.  I am wondering what would potentially lead to this situation.

Well regardless of the data, this whole situation is sickening.  I hope the truth is fully revealed and the victims are able to get some kind of closure from this.




No comments:

Post a Comment