Monday, July 21, 2014

A Slap In The Face

Yet again I happened to catch a part of the TV show "The View", since my mother was watching it.  I caught part of their conversation about a recent incident where Tim McGraw slapped a female concertgoer who had ripped his jeans.  Apparently the jeans were already ripped, and the female reached up and grabbed McGraw's jeans, ripping them more.  Reportedly McGraw slapped the female over this.  The discussion was about whether or not McGraw was justified to do this.  While some seemed to understand why McGraw may have felt the need to slap after essentially being violated by the fan, it seemed that the general consensus was that there was no justification for a man to strike a woman.  I say he was totally justified.  If someone is coming at me and rips my clothes, my reaction is going to be to get her off of me.  Now maybe I wouldn't slap her in the face, maybe I would just push her away.  But I would definitely take some action to defend myself.  I think that's pure gut reaction.  Besides, who gave her the right to reach up there and rip the guy's pants?  I know he's a performer and I know his pants were already ripped, but give me a break.  Why do fans think it is okay to touch a performer like that and rip their property?  Fans think they own stars and they can do anything they want with them.  What happened to common decency and respect?  And I would love to hear the debate if it were the other way around, if a male fan ripped the clothes of a female performer.  A male fan would probably be arrested, possibly with a restraining order.  I say the female fan had no right to lay hands on McGraw, and certainly had no right to touch and rip his clothes, whether they were already ripped or not.  We would never stand for something like this if a man had touched a woman's clothes.  Why should we for the reverse?

No comments:

Post a Comment