Thursday, July 17, 2014

Multi-Tasking Female Communicators

This article indicates that the difference in communication styles of men as compared to women is as follows.  Women feel and think simultaneously, while men can either feel or think, but not both at the same time.  In thinking about this, I started to realize that this might explain some situations I have experienced in my communications with males vs females.  It also made me think about my own communication style.  While looking for an article to discuss tonight, I kept running into some stereotypical styles.  A lot was mentioned about men wanting to solve problems, and women wanting more or less to vent and to have an interaction with the person to whom she was venting.  I have felt myself on both sides of that, and I have experienced both males and females on both sides of that.  So I was not satisfied that that categorization was anything more than stereotyping.  But this somewhat dated article from Psychology Today expressed a difference I had not heard about before.

Have you noticed that generally men either feel or think, but indications are they cannot do both at the same time?  Conversely, do females you talk with show indications of being able to pull that off?  Or is this yet another stereotypical view of difference in gender?


www.psychologytoday.com/blog/emotional-fitness/201008/men-women-emotions-and- communication


No comments:

Post a Comment