Saturday, August 9, 2014

Colors

I decided to check out the favorite colors of women vs men.  I was surprised that there doesn't seem to be a huge difference in choice of favorite color based on gender.  I mean sure, most guys won't admit to liking pink, so I get why there's a difference there.  But I would have expected more women to like pink.  Pink has been pretty steadily thought of as a "girl" color for a long time, so I would have thought more women would have chosen it as their favorite.

I guess you could say a lot more women like purple than men, and a significant number of men like blue more than women.  And it looks like a certain number of men like green more than women.  But I'm not sure if the difference in green-liking men as opposed to green-liking women is truly statistically significant.

I think it's interesting that there isn't a whole lot of difference in most of the proportions between men and women.  So really, most of us don't like yellow or orange.  Neither gender is too big on red (I like red, although when asked my favorite color, I usually say "black and gold").

I am still quite stricken by the proportions really being so similar.  It makes me wonder why humans seem to have such a relatively high preference for the color blue.  Is it because blue is the color of the sky and essentially of water (as in bodies of water on the planet)?  Do we like green so much because of grass and trees and plants?  Okay, the purple one has me thrown a bit.  The first thought that comes to mind is the association of purple with royalty and majesty.  I cannot think of anything that is natural (as with the sky, bodies of water, grass and trees and plants) and is also purple.  Can you think of anything that might lead us to like purple?

And what is your favorite color?

https://familyinequality.wordpress.com/tag/color/

No comments:

Post a Comment