Sunday, August 24, 2014

Door Open, Door Closed

I had an interesting talk with my mom today.  She had been at a child's birthday party today.  Most of the activity for the party was outside, but occasionally people would go inside.  My mom and some of the guests were noticing that the girls were careful to shut the door when they came inside or went outside, but the boys did not bother to close the door.  My mom and the guests noted this and started observing this through the party, and this gender difference seemed to hold up.  My mother and I interpreted this as the boys being all set to conquer whatever activity with which they were about to engage, while the girls were apparently being more mindful of their surroundings and how their actions might impact them.  But it was very interesting to hear about this seemingly consistent difference in the children's genders.

No comments:

Post a Comment