Wednesday, August 27, 2014

"Why Do Many "Breaking Bad" Fans Love Walter White But Hate Skyler?"

Okay, I'll tell you why I don't like Skyler.  She's a pushy, controlling, manipulative bitch, plain and simple.  I really don't believe I feel that way because she is a strong woman.  I have known strong women in my life, and I do not have a static response to them where I automatically think of them in such a negative light.  In fact, there are many strong women I know, and for many of them I have developed a strong sense of respect.  But Skyler?  She was pushy and controlling from the beginning, and as things went along, she became increasingly so.

And yeah, Walter is awesome, in spite of making some absolutely horrible decisions and for getting involved in such a horrible situation in the first place.  I do find it upsetting that I find myself always backing Walt, even though he's involved in such terrible things.  But there is just something about that guy.  He is the ultimate anti-hero for sure.

Why Do Many "Breaking Bad" Fans Love Walter White But Hate Skyler?




...

Though he's the classic example of an anti-hero, Walt initially entered the ever-thrilling field of meth production in a desperate effort to provide economic security for his wife, Skyler, son, and daughter-to-be. That noble goal is lost, as he spirals into violence and his "bullshit rationales." Despite his corrupt moral compass, viewers continue to root for Walt and there's a latent feeling that the audience will revolt if he doesn't survive the show's finale. Meanwhile, among many "Breaking Bad" fans, there's no love lost (to put it mildly) for his wife Skyler. Actress Anna Gunn even wrote an op-ed in the New York Times recently talking about the hatred of her character.
"My character, to judge from the popularity of Web sites and Facebook pages devoted to hating her, has become a flash point for many people's feelings about strong, nonsubmissive, ill-treated women," writes Gunn
...


No comments:

Post a Comment