Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Fat Boys vs Fat Girls, and Other Thoughts on Obesity

Let's face it, people are way more accepting of fat boys than they are of fat girls.  And really when you get right down to it, people really seem to prefer thinner people over heavier people.  Is it the photos of thin celebrities as we see?  People always talk about society dictating unrealistic body images to people, especially when it comes to women.  I wonder if that's changed much these days.  I mean now, so many of us are obese.  Frequently you see a lot of very overweight people out there, myself included.  Has that increased our acceptance of fat people?  Do we like them any more than we used to?  Maybe we don't notice it as much, maybe now weight is not as important to us anymore.  My own experience is that we still don't like when people are fat, and we still don't think highly of them.  And that's probably even more true when it is yourself that you are thinking of.  I know I personally feel incredibly mortified to be as fat as I am right now.  I feel horrible embarrassment that I could have let myself go like this and I can look this awful.  I also feel a horrible sense of loss because I know my body will never be able to rebound from this.  Even if I lost weight, I would have sagging flesh that looks so horrible.  And it's more than how I feel about myself.  I see it with others.  You remember how you were treated when you were thin, and you know it's different now that you're fat.  But is there a difference between how accepting people are of you if you're a fat man as compared to being a fat woman?  I still think that it is more acceptable to society that men are big, so it's probably easier for them to get away with being fat in the eyes of the public.  And it seems that women as still held to more traditional lines of thinking, and that they have to be thin and beautiful.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment