Thursday, August 28, 2014

Father/Daughter and Mother/Son

My mother and I were talking today about the typical and strong bond between fathers and daughters and between mothers and sons.  This is not at all to say that mothers don't adore their daughters or that fathers are not bonded with their sons.  But there is something uncanny about this tendency, and it seems to exist fairly universally  (at least in our culture).  I've seen it many, many times.  Way more often than not, there seems to be some sort of extra special connection between a parent of one gender and a child of the opposite gender.  It makes me wonder about how this works (or does not work) in families with homosexual parents.  Of the parents and children that I have witnessed over the years and seen this bond in practice, I have no idea which involved homosexuals and which involved heterosexual ones.  They seemed to all be heterosexual since the parenting couple were of opposite genders.  So assuming they were all likely heterosexual couples, I have no information on how this would work with homosexual couples.  But I do wonder how that might work.  Would there be a special bond between same gendered children?  It seems more likely that there would be.  I have not heard of such a study being done, but I do think it would be interesting to see.  If there is a special bond between homosexual parents and their same gendered child, it would seem that the bonding is a function of the gender.  The more I think about it, the more interesting this becomes.

Has anyone out there had any experience with homosexual couples and their interactions with their children of both genders?  I would be very interested in hearing about it and seeing if we can figure out what happens and how this works, or if it exists at all for homosexual couples.  I invite any serious comments on this!  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment